Monday 15 June 2015

MaskGenie Weekend Pouch (23/24 May 2015)

Kia Ora!

I found a mask subscription, and it's the best thing that ever happened (exaggeration but I'm going to claim it). I know that there was Oh Sheet Mask last year, but they only seemed to send out Chinese masks, and I was scared off by the lack of transparency around that company - then they went under as they underestimated the education and research capabilities of their market. However, from that debacle, Mask Genie was born.

Mask Genie is a mask subscription run by Genie, a blogger from Genie's Favourite Products. It's a small business (one-woman if I recall correctly), and she lives in Hong Kong. This means she has access to a huge variety of Asian masks (Korean, Japanese, Taiwanese, and more). Genie is really dedicated to being transparent, and her unboxing videos are really helpful - especially as she isn't able to include product cards at this stage like the bigger companies.


Mask Genie has a monthly subscription, 10 masks for $22USD or 5 masks for $12USD, both including international shipping. There are also the occasional limited edition pouch, and recently introduced weekend pouches. Weekend pouches are a random mix, and you never know what might  be in there. Each pouch comes in an organza bag (cheap but pretty packaging), and Genie takes great care with the curation - she talks a lot this in her videos.

I bought a weekend pouch on 23/24 May as Genie put a spoiler up on the Facebook page and I had been drooling over it. The Mise en Scene Hair Ampoule was in one of the monthly pouches, but I hadn't subscribed at that point. I have now as these pouches seem to be getting better and better.


Mise en Scene Perfect Repair Hair Ampoule

I've had a few products from this brand through Memebox, and I love the idea of a hair ampoule. I couldn't pass up this pouch, and now have a subscription. It's a slippery slope - but let's be honest, anything mask related and I'm already a sucker.

Sasatinnnie Rose Hip Oil Tightening and Rejuvenating Silky Mask
O'slee Rosehip Whitening Mask

I've never seen anything by either of these brands before, and I love trying and discovering new brands. I don't have any extra info about these masks, but the idea of Rose Hip Oil is alluring as it is supposed to be great for your skin.

Etude House Black Charcoal Chin Pack

I generally try not to use these types of strips as I think previous ones have left me with crater pores on my nose. However they seem to be effective for my SO so he can use these. Great addition to the pouch though as it is a bit different to cotton sheet masks.


My Scheming Diary Deep Ocean Water Saccharide Isomerate

This mask sounds rather strange, but I've heard good things about My Scheming Diary. I think it is a Japanese brand? I'm pretty excited to give it a go though.

Silk White Q10
The Qure Red Ginseng Collagen Essence Mask

I haven't heard of or seen either of these masks before, but I am keen to give them a go. Q10 is supposed to be great for your skin, and Red Ginseng supposedly has good properties too. Yay!


Benico 3D Cold Tomato

I am really excited to see this one. It was in one of the early pouches, and I thought it looked really neat. You put this in the fridge for a bit before using it, and it makes a nice cool mask. I think I'll wait until summer before using this one, as it's a pretty cold winter right now in New Zealand so I don't think adding extra coolness will be pleasant.

Purederm Kiwi Yogurt Pack

I have 15 of these from an old Memebox, but in the Strawberry flavour. I'm pretty happy to see a different flavour in this pouch, and I'm really excited to give it a try.


Natural Detox Foot Patch - Mugwort

This is something I've never seen or thought of before. In one of the unboxing videos Genie shows exactly how to use these. I have never tried anything like these, which go on the soles of your feet overnight and will draw the toxins out of your body. I'm generally not a believer in that sort of thing, but I do like trying new things so I'll happily try this out one night. Maybe a Friday night so I have Saturday to wash the sticky residue off my feet before having to leave the house. I love that she packaged up the two plasters, two mugwort patches and the instructions in a ziploc bag. It truly shows her attention to detail and the care she takes when creating these pouches.

______________________________________________________________________

I'm excited to see the variety in this pouch. I wasn't sure what to expect with a randomised Weekend Pouch, but this is awesome. There are several cotton sheet masks, a wash-off mask, some pore patches, foot patch and the hair ampoule. I know that a lot of thought goes into the curation of the monthly pouches (check out the unboxing videos if you need proof) but I wasn't expecting such a thoughtful variety in the weekend pouch.

I'm officially in love with this subscription. $22USD a month for 10 masks is a great price, and having it include international shipping is fantastic. I'm eagerly awaiting the other pouches I've ordered (and hiding them from my SO who thinks I already have too many masks).

Until next time ...

No comments:

Post a Comment