Monday 16 February 2015

Mamie Blue Mask Review

Kia Ora!

It's time for a mask review. I received the B & Soap Mamie Blue in my Dirty Gal Memebox back in November (I think?), and have recently started using it as a night time wash off mask. I really like it, and want to share how it works with you all.

It's often referred to as the 'smurf mask' because you look quite blue when you put it on. The Memecard has a wee description of the mask, and we'll see if it lives up to the hype.




Nothing heightens the skin's natural metabolic processes better than this densely textured, smooth gliding, and terrifically energizing "Smurf facial mask". Slap this blue paste onto skin to clear away dead, tired skin cells while literally vacuuming up all impurities. Infused with invigorating peppermint, soothing evening primrose oil, and more, this facial mask is excellent for all skin types and all ages. 

The ingredients (as listed on the container) are:
Seawater, Kaolin, Glycerin, Diatomaceous Earth, Phaseolus Angularis Seed Powder, 1.2-Hexanediol, Montmorillonite, Phenoxyethanol, Propolis Extract, Tocopheryl Acetate, Euterpe Oleracea Fruit Extract, Xanthan Gum, Oenothera Biennis (Evening Primrose) Oil, Cl 42053, Allantoin, Mentha.



While I think Memebox needs to revisit the definition of the word 'literally', this isn't a bad description. It is really textured. The mask had dried out a bit when I first opened it, but I stirred the whole lot around a bit, and it became a bit more moist. There seemed to be pockets of moisture (possibly the evening primrose oil), and once agitated the entire product was more of a mask consistency. There are chunks in the mask, making it a good exfoliator upon removal, but looks a bit odd when on the face. The peppermint scent is the most powerful one, although it also smells a lot like the kaolin clay it is made up with. It's not the most attractive scent, but it isn't as off-putting as some other masks I've tried.


Here's a terribly attractive picture of me with the mask on. This is after about 5 minutes, so you can see where the drier patches are, and the parts that haven't dried out yet.


Close up to see the lumpy, chunky 'granules' that are part of the mask.


Here's another equally off-putting picture of me, but the mask is mostly dry in this picture. It cracks a bit when dry, but isn't overly uncomfortable.


A close up of the cracks,  and my excellent mask putting on skills (i.e. I don't have any, but generally nobody sees me like this apart from my SO, so it doesn't really matter).

I wash masks like this off in the shower, and this one was a bit difficult. Once water is added, it simply makes the mask a wet product again. You could probably scrape it off and reuse if you wanted to be really frugal. It took me quite awhile to get the mask fully off my face, but the granules did provide excellent exfoliation in the process.

I must say that this mask left my skin feeling soft and luxurious. I am so glad I got it in a Memebox (despite the current feeling of annoyance and intense dislike I have towards Memebox right now), and I will be using this with pleasure. I can recommend this to anyone with oily or blemish prone skin as my skin looked and felt better for a couple of days after using this. If you have sensitive skin, tread carefully, as the peppermint tends to create a bit of a burning sensation sometimes.

I've managed to locate this mask on Korea Depart here if anyone wants to invest. I've never used Korea Depart myself, so let me know what it's like if you order from here.

Until next time ...

No comments:

Post a Comment